- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons Baby Bam, or 2 teaspoons Emeril's Original Essence
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup minced yellow onions
- 12 to 15 small square dinner rolls
- American cheese slices, optional topping
- Yellow mustard, optional topping
- Ketchup, optional topping
- Pickle relish, optional topping
- Sliced pickles, optional topping
- Shredded iceberg lettuce, optional topping
- Tomato slices, optional topping
Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil or waxed paper and set aside.
Place the meat in a large mixing bowl. Add the Baby Bam, salt, and pepper, and mix with your hands until all the ingredients are well incorporated. Form the meat into small, thin, square patties, 2 1/2 to 3 inches square, using 3 to 4 tablespoons of meat for each. Place on the baking sheet as they are formed.
Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil and when hot, add the minced onions, and cook, stirring, until just fragrant. Remove from heat. Preheat flat side of a cast iron griddle. Coat lightly with oil. Place meat patties on hot griddle and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Using a spatula, turn the burgers over and place 1 tablespoon of the cooked onions on top of each patty. Place the top buns on the patties and cook on the second side for 2 to 3 minutes. (If desired, place the cheese on the patties before topping with the buns.
Arrange the bottom buns on a large platter. Top with desired condiments. Slide the burgers with their onions onto the bottom buns. Serve hot.