- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil as needed
- 1 pound fresh pasta sheets
- 24 fresh sea scallops, cleaned
- 1 pint currant, tear or cherry tomatoes, red or yellow
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, such as chanterelles, morels, shiitake, or oyster cleaned
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, blanched, cut into 2 to 3-inch lengths
- Chopped fresh parsley for serving
In the cup of an electric blender, combine the basil, nuts, garlic and 1/4 cup of the cheese. Blend thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper. With the blender running, slowly drizzle in 1 cup of the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Tear the pasta into 1-inch pieces. Drizzle a little olive oil into the water and add the pasta. Cook until tender, about 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from the water and drain. In a large mixing bowl, toss the pasta with a 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and set aside in a warm place.
Preheat the grill to medium-high.
Season the scallops with a tablespoon of the olive oil, salt and pepper. Place the scallops on the grill and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until the scallops are firm to the touch. Set aside in a warm place to keep warm.
In a sauté pan, over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of the oil. When the oil is hot, add the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté for 1 minute until blistered then add to the bowl with the pasta. Return the pan to the stove and heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add half the mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently for 3 to 4 minutes until browned, season with salt and pepper. Add to the bowl with the pasta and repeat with the remaining mushrooms. Add the asparagus to the sauté pan to heat for 2 minutes then add to the bowl with the pasta.
Toss the pasta with the vegetables, stir in the pesto and mix well. Add the remaining 1/4 cup cheese and mix well. Adjust the seasonings if needed. Mound the pasta in the center of each serving plate. Lay the scallops over the pasta. Garnish with parsley.