- 4 round Toasted Croutons, about 3 to 4 inches in diameter
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup port wine
- 1/4 cup peeled and chopped Italian plum tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt, in all
- 12 turns freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups Veal Stock or
- Brown Chicken Stock
- 12 ounces foie gras (duck or goose liver), cut into 4 slices about 1/2 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced black truffles (optional)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 cups assorted greens (include Belgian endive, frisï¿½e, arugula)
- Prepare the croutons and set aside.
- Combine the shallots, garlic, port, and tomatoes in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon of the salt, 6 turns of the pepper, and the stock, and bring to a boil. Cook over high heat for 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle the foie gras with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, spreading evenly on both sides of the each slice. Heat a large heavy skillet over high heat until very hot. Add the slices of foie gras and sear until brown, for 30 to 45 seconds on each side; don't overcook! Remove the foie gras to paper towels and reserve the fat left in the skillet.
- When the sauce has cooked for 6 minutes, stir in the green onions, vinegar, and truffles. Stir in the reserved fat from the skillet and cook for 3 minutes. Turn off the heat. Makes 1 cup.
- Heat the oil in the same skillet over high heat. Add the greens and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and the remaining 6 turns pepper and wilt the greens, tossing, for about 60 seconds. Remove from the heat.
- To serve, place 1 crouton on each of 4 plates and top with 1 slice of foie gras. Divide the greens into 4 servings and arrange around the foie gras. Spoon 1/4 cup of the sauce over each slive of foie gras.
Chicken and Smoked Sausage Gumbo
Piri Piri Shrimp With Pasta Salad
Duck And Pumpkin Risotto With Toasted Pumpkin Seeds And Duck Cracklings
Corn Flaps With Chive Cream And Caviar
Crab And Corn Pies With Corn Crab Sauce
Duck, Andouille, And Scallion Pancakes With Ginger Orange Sauce
Fried Oysters With Horseradish Cream And Tomato Corn Salsa
Goat Cheese Quesadilla With Guacamole And Pico De Gallo
Poached Oysters In Pernod Cream And Fried Spinach