- Two 1-ounce skeins mung bean noodles or cellophane noodles
- One 2-inch piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions (green and white parts)
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 16 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 teaspoons Emeril's Original Essence
- Eight 8 1/2-inch round rice paper wrappers
- 8 small romaine lettuce leaves, rinsed, patted dry, ribs removed, and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 ounce alfalfa or radish sprouts
- 32 fresh mint leaves
- 32 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
- Asian Dipping Sauce
- Hot Mustard Sauce
- Put 2 cups hot water in a large bowl and add the noodles. Soak them until softened but slightly resilient, 20 to 30 minutes. Drain them and pat dry on paper towels. Put in a bowl and cover.
- Combine 4 cups water, the ginger, lemon, soy sauce, sugar, bay leaves, green onions, garlic, salt, black pepper, and cayenne in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Season the shrimp with the Essence, then add to the boiling water. Boil for 2 minutes, then remove the pan from the heat and allow the shrimp to sit in the hot liquid for 2 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Using tongs or a slotted spoon, remove the shrimp from the water and let cool. Reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid for the dipping sauce. When the shrimp are cool enough to handle, cut lengthwise in half.
- Fill a large bowl with hot water. Place a clean kitchen towel next to the bowl. Submerge 1 rice paper wrapper in the water and soak it until softened, about 1 minute. Carefully remove the rice paper from the water and lay it flat on the towel.
- In the center of the sheet, layer one-eighth of the soaked noodles, 4 lettuce pieces, about 20 sprouts, 4 shrimp halves arranged side by side in a row, 4 mint leaves, 4 cilantro sprigs, and one-eighth of the carrots. Pull the bottom up over the filling, fold over the sides, and roll up like an egg roll. Place seam side down on a plate and repeat the process with the remaining rice papers and filling.
- Serve immediately, with the dipping sauce.
Egg Rolls With Hot Mustard Sauce
Spicy Sausage And Cheese Rolls
Rock Shrimp Cones With Creole Remoulade Sauce
Romaine Salad With Creamy Garlic Dressing And Roasted Garlic Croutons
Corn And Crab Bisque
Oyster And Shrimp Poíboy
Shrimp And Saffron Risotto