- 2 (4-inch) pieces lemongrass stalk, smashed
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeds and stem removed, and diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 cups shrimp stock
- 1/2 Scotch bonnet pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ounces medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 spiny lobster tails, meat removed and diced
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 to 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Fresh cilantro sprigs, for garnish
Place the lemongrass stalks and coriander in dampened cheesecloth and tie together with kitchen twine. Set aside.
Heat oil in a medium stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onions and bell peppers, and saute 2 to 3 minutes, or until softened. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes. Add the spice bag, shrimp stock, and Scotch bonnet pepper. Season the soup with the salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes.
Add the shrimp and diced lobster meat and simmer for an additional 4 to 5 minutes just until the seafood is cooked through. Stir in the coconut milk, lime juice, and chopped cilantro and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through. Remove the spice bag from the soup and ladle into warmed soup bowls. Garnish with fresh cilantro sprigs and serve immediately.