- 1 cup fresh white bread (such as ciabatta), crust removed and cubed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 slices apple bacon, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped, or 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped, or 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 5 ounces assorted mushrooms, sliced (such as shiitake and oyster, about 2 cups)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Marsala wine
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
In a small bowl, soak bread cubes in milk.
In a saute pan, saute bacon over medium-high heat until crisp and all fat is rendered. Add onion, celery, and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and continue to cook until mushrooms have released their liquid and are soft, about 4 minutes. Deglaze with Marsala and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
Squeeze excess milk from bread (see note) and place bread in a large mixing bowl. Add eggs and mix well, breaking up pieces of bread. Add mushroom mixture, chopped thyme and oregano, and salt and pepper to taste.
Note: If baking in a casserole dish rather than stuffing inside the roulade, do not squeeze out the excess liquid from the soaked bread. Just mix with the remaing ingredients and proceed.
Savory Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding
Corn And Wild Rice Pudding
Turkey, Basmati and Wild Rice Casserole
Smoked Turkey Stock for the Pressure Cooker
Basic Bread Dough For Stuffed Bread
Summer Stuffed Tomatoes
Beef and Wild Mushroom Pate with a Cognac Mustard Sauce
Turkey and Wild Rice Salad