- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons minced red peppers
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup homemade mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons Creole mustard
- 1 teaspoon Crystal hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound jumbo lump crab meat, picked over for cartilage and shells
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 8 soft-shell crabs
- 1 cup seasoned flour
- 1 egg slightly beaten with 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Oil for frying
- 1 cup Green Onion Tartar sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons brunoise red peppers
In a sauté pan, heat the olive oil. When the oil is hot, sauté the shallots, onions, peppers, and garlic until slightly wilted, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and turn into a mixing bowl. Stir in the mayonnaise, Creole mustard, Crystal hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, crab meat and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
Stuff each crab with 3 ounces of filling. Dredge the soft-shells in the seasoned flour. Dip into the egg wash, removing any excess. Dredge in the seasoned bread crumbs, crusting each side completely.
In a saute pan, pour in enough oil to fill 1/4 of the pan. When the oil is hot, add the soft-shells in batches. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until the soft-shells are golden brown and heated through the center. Remove from the pan and drain on a paper-line plate. Continue frying until all the soft-shells are fried.
Season with Essence. Spoon the tartar sauce in the center of the plate.
Place a soft-shell in the center of the sauce. Spoon any leftover crabmeat on top and then stack the second soft-shell on top. Garnish with the chives and peppers.