- 2 quarts vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 2 eggs
- 6 ounces peeled crawfish tails
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Emeril's Original Essence, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 cup finely-chopped green bell peppers
- 1/4 cup finely-chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sifted flour plus extra for rolling
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- Creole Tartar Sauce
In a deep-fryer heat the oil over medium-high heat to 365 degrees F. In a large bowl whisk the eggs until frothy. Sprinkle the crawfish tails with 1 tablespoon of Essence and add to eggs. Stir in the bell peppers, green onions, garlic, salt, flour, baking powder and milk. The mixture should be like a thick pancake batter.
Using a large metal tablespoon, drop the beignet mixture into oil and fry about 3 minutes or until crispy and golden brown. Do this in 2 batches. Using a slotted spoon remove the beignets and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle remaining 1 teaspoon Essence over beignets. To serve, spoon the tartar sauce onto 4 dinner plates and place 5 to 6 beignets on top of each. Sprinkle the rims of the plates with extra Essence.