Emeril's Boudin Sausage
Boudin is as about as Cajun as it gets. Traditionally, boudin is sausage that is stuffed with pork and rice, but people have started stuffing this sausage with all sorts of ingredients as this dish has become more popular. At Emeril's, it is made with our own traditional boudin in-house, and serve it with our homemade Andouille sausage along with southern cooked greens, beer braised onions, whole grain mustard and Emeril’s Worcestershire Sauce.
- 2 1/2 pounds pork butt, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound pork liver, rinsed in cool water
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 4 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cayenne
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 cup chopped green onions tops, (green part only)
- 6 cups cooked medium-grain rice
- 1 1/2-inch diameter, casings, about 4 feet in length
In a large sauce pan, combine the pork butt, pork liver, water, onions, garlic, bell peppers, celery, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours, or until the pork and liver are tender. Remove from the heat and drain, reserving 1 1/2 cups of the broth. Using a meat grinder with a 1/4-inch die, grind the pork mixture, 1/2 cup of the parsley and 1/2 cup of the green onions together.
Turn the mixture into a mixing bowl. Stir in the rice, remaining salt, cayenne, black pepper, parsley, and green onions. Add the broth, 1/2 cup at a time, and mix thoroughly. Either using a feeding tube or a funnel, stuff the sausage into the casings and make 3-inch links. Bring 1 gallon of salted water up to a boil. Poach the sausage for about 5 minutes, or until the sausage is firm to the touch and plump. Remove from the water and allow to cool slightly before serving.
- Source: Emeril Live EM1A21E
- Dish Type: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Cajun/Creole
- Cooking Method: Combination
- Occasion: Any
- Effort Level: Moderate