- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound chorizo sausage, sliced into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 cup julienned onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 3 cups white potatoes, peeled and 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 cup split peas
- 3 quarts chicken stock
- 4 cups tightly packed kale, rinsed, stemmed, and torn into pieces, about 1 bunch
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
- Crushed red pepper, to taste
- 6 tablespoons chiffonade fresh mint
In a large pot, heat the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the chorizo and onions, season with salt and pepper, and sauté for 2 minutes.
Add the garlic, parsley, potatoes, and peas. Cook for 2 minutes.
Add the stock and kale and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper, and stir in the bay leaves, thyme and crushed red pepper to taste.
Reduce to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are fork tender, about 30 minutes.
Remove from the heat and skim off any fat that has risen to the surface. Taste, adjust the seasoning if necessary, and serve the soup garnished with the mint.