- 1/2 pound bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound fresh spaghetti, cooked al dente (reserve 1 1/2 cups of pasta cooking water)
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
In a large saute pan, over medium heat, cook the bacon until crispy, about 6 minutes. Remove the bacon and drain on paper towels. Pour off all of the oil except for 3 tablespoons. Add the garlic. Season with black pepper. Saute for 30 seconds. Add the crispy bacon and the pasta. Add 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta water and cook until pasta is warmed through and coated with the bacon drippings. Season the eggs with salt and whisk in the cheese. Remove the pan from the heat and add half of the egg mixture, along with more of the pasta cooking water, and whisking quickly until the eggs thicken, but do not scramble. Add the remaining egg mixture, toss quickly and thoroughly until the pasta is coated with the sauce and the mixture thickens, adding more pasta cooking water if necessary. Reseason with salt and pepper. Mound into serving bowls and garnish with parsley.