- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 jalapeno, chopped
- 1/2 cup blackberries
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 pounds flank steak
For the summer salsa:
- 2 1/2 cups small diced cantaloupe
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 cup blackberries, halved
- 1/2 cup small dice red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup small dice red onion
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion
- Freshly ground black pepper
Add the onion, jalapeno, blackberries, lemon juice, salt and olive oil to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Add the flank steak to a resealable plastice food storage bag and pour the marinade over the steak. Seal the bag and refrigerate. Marinate for 4 hours, preferably overnight.
Preheat the grill to medium high.
In a large bowl, add the cantaloupe, jalapeno, blackberries, red pepper, lemon juice, parsley, cilantro and green onions. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
Grill the flank steak to medium rare, about 4 to 5 minutes per side. Slice the steak on a bias, against the grain. To serve, fan out a few slices on a plate. Top with summer salsa.