1. To make the marinade, place the sherry in a small
mixing bowl. Slowly whisk in 1⁄3 cup of the olive oil,
then stir in the paprika, pimentón, sliced onion, sliced
garlic, and 3 tablespoons of the fresh oregano.
2. Place the chicken in a resealable 1 gallon plastic
food storage bag. Pour the sherry marinade over the
chicken and squeeze out as much air as possible before
sealing the bag. Gently move the chicken around
in the marinade to make sure it is well coated. Place
the plastic bag with the chicken on a small baking
sheet and transfer to the refrigerator to marinate for
about 4 hours, turning once midway.
3. Remove the chicken from the marinade and pat
dry with paper towels. Discard the marinade. Season the chicken on both sides with the white pepper and 1 tablespoon
of the salt. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
4. Heat the remaining 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil in a large
Dutch oven or a large, heavy skillet over medium- high heat.
Sear the chicken, skin side down, until the skin is nicely
browned and develops a crust, about 3 minutes. Cook the
other side until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Remove
the chicken from the pan and set aside, loosely covered with
5. Reduce the heat to medium and add the chorizo. Cook
until crisped and brown, stirring occasionally, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from the pot and set aside. Add the chopped onion, bell pepper, minced garlic, dried oregano, crushed red pepper, and a pinch of salt and cook until caramelized, stirring frequently, about 20 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes release their juices. Stir in the reserved chorizo, the beans, stock, and the remaining 1 teaspoon salt.
6. Carefully transfer the mixture to a 2 to 3 inch deep 3 1⁄2 to 4-quart dish. Place the chicken halves skin side up on top of the beans and transfer to the oven. Bake, uncovered, until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F, 45 to 60 minutes. If necessary, tent the chicken with foil to prevent further browning. Set the dish aside to rest for about 15 minutes before serving.
7. Cut the chicken into pieces and serve over the black
beans. Garnish with the remaining 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano.
Yield: 4 servings