- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 2 pounds carrots, cut into large dice (about 4 cups)
- 2 cups diced onions (medium dice)
- 1/4 cup (about 2 ounces) peeled and sliced fresh ginger
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, tied in a bundle with kitchen twine
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 6 cups water
- Sour cream, for garnish (optional)
- Melt the butter in a 6-quart (or larger) soup pot over high heat. Add the carrots, onions, ginger, thyme bundle, salt, and white pepper, and cook for 2 minutes. Then add the water, cover the pot, and bring to a boil. Remove the cover, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat, and remove the thyme bundle. Blend the soup until it is completely smooth, using an immersion blender or in three batches in a blender (see Note).
- Transfer the pureed soup to a 4-quart pot or other serving dish. Stir to combine, and adjust the seasoning to taste. Serve hot, garnished with a dollop of sour cream if desired.
- Note: Please use caution when blending hot liquids; blend only small amounts at a time, with the blender tightly covered and a kitchen towel held over the top.