- 1 1/2 cups sugar, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups packed fresh mint leaves, coarsely chopped
- 8 cups ice cubes
- 2 cups bourbon
- Orange slices, for garnish
- Mint sprigs, for garnish
- Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan and simmer until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and add the mint leaves. Allow to steep until cool. Once cool, strain out the leaves.
- Combine half of the mint syrup, 4 cups ice, and 1 cup bourbon in a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into a pitcher. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Rub the rims of julep cups, if available, or wide-mouthed, long-stemmed glasses with orange slices and dip the rims in sugar, then fill with the frozen mint juleps. Garnish each with an orange slice and mint sprig and serve immediately.