- 3 colored bell peppers, cored and seeded, cut into 1/2-inch strips lengthwise
- 1 red onion, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh Italian Sausage, removed from casings in meatball-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Calabrian Chile Drizzle:
- 2 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 to 3 calabrian chiles in olive oil, drained (stem removed), or 2 teaspoons crushed red chile paste
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 to 6 French or Italian bread rolls or hoagie rolls, warmed in the oven
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
Arrange the peppers and onion strips on the baking sheet. Remove the fresh sausage from its casing in meatball-sized pieces and scatter the sausage over the veggies. Drizzle the veggies and sausage with the olive oil and season lightly with salt and pepper. Toss gently with your hands so that everything is coated evenly. Roast in the center of the oven until the sausage is cooked through and golden brown and the veggies are tender and lightly caramelized, about 30 minutes.
While the veggies and sausage are cooking, Combine the vinegar, garlic, paprika, chiles, parsley, and generous pinches of salt and pepper in a blender or food processor and process until smooth, adding the olive oil in a thin, steady stream. Taste and add more salt and pepper as needed. Set sauce aside at room temperature until ready to serve the sandwiches.
When the sausage is cooked, serve it on warmed rolls with the peppers and onions, drizzled with the Chile Drizzle.