- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon bacon drippings
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus more for garnishing soup
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 rib celery, thinly sliced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 small or 1 large piece Parmesan rind, plus grated Parmesan for garnishing soup
- 1 1/2 cups cooked and drained white beans (one 15.5 ounce can)
- 6 cups escarole, coarsely chopped or torn into bite-size pieces (1 large head)
Saute the onion in bacon drippings and extra virgin olive oil until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic, crushed red pepper and celery and saute until garlic is soft and fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Add the stock, water, and Parmesan rind(s) and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat so that the soup just simmers and cook until the broth is flavorful, 30 to 45 minutes.
Add the beans and cook for 15 minutes, then add the escarole and cook until it is soft and wilted and flavors have come together, 10 to 15 minutes longer. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
Serve the soup garnished with grated Parmesan cheese and drizzled with extra-virgin olive oil to taste,