- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped semi-sweet, bitter sweet or milk chocolate or a combination
- 12 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Patron XO Liquor, optional
- 1 recipe Cardamom XO Creme Anglaise
Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
Sift together 3/4 cup of sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the grated chocolate.
In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, add the egg whites and the cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks. While the machine is running add the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar and continue beating until stiff, glossy peaks form. Add the vanilla and the XO liquor, if you are using it.
Remove the bowl from the mixer and gently fold the flour mixture into the eggs until fully combined and there are no dry ingredients remaining.
Pour into a nonstick angel food cake pan.
Bake until the cake rises and gently springs back, about 30 to 35 minutes.
Cool, inverted over a bottle for at least an hour before removing it from the pan.
Serve with the Cardamom XO Creme Anglaise.