- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- One 3-pound boneless pork loin roast, trimmed and tied
- 8 cloves garlic, smashed lightly and peeled
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups 1⁄4-inch sliced red onion
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 3⁄4 cup dried apricots
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup dried cherries
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisins
- 1⁄4 cup dried currants
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons (1⁄2 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- Mashed sweet potatoes, for serving
Combine the paprika, cayenne, black pepper, and 1 1⁄2 teaspoons of the kosher salt in a small bowl and stir together to mix well. Set aside.
With a small knife, make twelve 1 1⁄2-inch-deep, evenly spaced slits around the outside of the pork loin. Cut 6 of the garlic cloves in half lengthwise and insert 1⁄2 clove into each slit. Rub the pork on all sides with the seasoning mixture.
In a 12-inch sauté pan, add the olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. When hot, add the pork loin and cook each side until lightly golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to the crock of a 6-quart slow cooker.
Add the remaining 2 smashed garlic cloves, the onion, and thyme to the same pan and sauté, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
Surround the pork with the dried fruit. Top with the onion, then add the remaining teaspoon salt, the orange juice, and vinegar. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low until the pork reaches an internal temperature of 140°F, 2 1⁄2 to 2 3 ⁄4 hours.
Remove the pork from the slow cooker, transfer to a cutting board, and tent with foil to keep warm. Let the pork rest for about 10 minutes before slicing.
Gently stir the butter into the hot sauce. Remove the twine from the roast and slice the pork. Arrange on a serving platter and top with the sauce and plumped fruit.
- Source: Sizzling Skillets and Other One-Pot Wonders 
- Dish Type: Entree 
- Cuisine: American 
- Cooking Method: Combination 
- Occasion: Any 
- Effort Level: Simple