- 8 slices bacon
- 1/2 pound extra-sharp white cheddar, roughly grated
- 1/2 pound extra-sharp orange cheddar, roughly grated
- 8 ounces roasted red bell peppers, chopped (or 8 ounces jarred chopped pimentos, drained)
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise, preferably homemade
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green onions (top and bottom portions)
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 12 small ciabatta rolls or slider-sized individual French bread rolls, halved lengthwise
- Softened butter, for grilling bread rolls
- 12 thin slices of spicy ham, such as capicola or Hawaiian
In a large skillet, cook the bacon until brown and crisp, 6 to 7 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain and cool. When cool, crumble the bacon into small pieces and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the cheddar, roasted peppers, mayonnaise, green onions, garlic, cayenne, and salt and pepper; stir to blend. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow flavors to develop.
When you are ready to serve the sandwiches, spread the cut sides of the rolls lightly with butter, and griddle the rolls, cut sides down, until the cut sides are crisp and the buns are warmed through.
Place one slice of ham on the bottom portion of each roll, and top each with 3 to 4 tablespoons of the pimento cheese. Sprinkle with some of the crumbled bacon, then place the top piece of bread over the pimento cheese and serve immediately.