- 2 whole leeks
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine, such as Vouvray
- 3 teaspons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon pepitas (pumpkin seeds), toasted and ground
- 1 whole amarillo pepper, toasted and ground
- 12 slices smoked salmon, sliced very thin
- 2 hard-cooked eggs
- 1 teaspoon snipped chives
- Clean the leeks and roast them in a baking dish topped with half the olive oil and the white wine at 375 degrees until soft, about 1 hour. When cool enough to handle, remove the outer layers and the green ends of one of the leeks and discard. Reserve the pan juices. Cut the remaining leek into equal pieces about 2 inches long. Prepare the dressing by mixing the lime juice, ground pepitas and pepper, adding the reserved liquid from pan. Cover the leeks with the dressing and marinate for 2 hours.
- To serve, cut the leek pieces in half lengthwise. Line each piece with smoked salmon and roll up. Drizzle with the dressing and garnish with chopped eggs and chives. Note: Prosciutto, thinly sliced Italian ham, may be substituted for the salmon.