Caribbean Lobster Soup with Spicy Fritters
Meril is hosting their third dinner commemorating New Orleans' Tricentennial celebration. This time the menu celebrates the Caribbean influences that shaped our city and its cuisine. For more details, click here !
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound chorizo sausage, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 cups onions, julienned
- 8 cups lobster, shrimp or fish stock
- 12 whole cloves of garlic, peeled
- 2 green chiles, sliced into thin rings
- 3 cups roughly chopped assorted greens, such as collards, mustards, turnip, chard, dandelion, beet greens or spinach
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 3 oranges, juiced
- 2 spiny or Maine lobsters, cut in half
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 recipe of Spicy Fritters 
- 1 recipe red pepper mayonnaise 
In a large pot, with a lid, over medium heat, add the 1 tablespoon of olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the sausage and onions. Saute for 2 minutes. Stir in the stock, garlic and chiles, bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 60 minutes.
Add the greens, tomatoes, orange juice and lobster halves. Season with salt and crushed red pepper. Simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk and cilantro. To serve, place the lobster halves in the center of each shallow bowl. Spoon the broth over each lobster. Garnish with fritters and a drizzle of the mayonnaise.
- Source: Emeril Live EM1C34 
- Dish Type: Entree 
- Cuisine: Latin 
- Cooking Method: Combination 
- Effort Level: Experienced