- 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
- One 1/4-ounce envelope active-dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 cups bleached all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine the water, yeast, and sugar and stir to combine. Let sit until the mixture is foamy, about 5 minutes. Add 1½ cups of the flour and the salt, mixing by hand until it is all incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Continue adding the flour, ¼ cup at a time, working the dough after each addition, until all the flour is incorporated but the dough is still slightly sticky. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth but still slightly tacky, 3 to 5 minutes. Oil a large mixing bowl with the remaining 1 ½ teaspoons olive oil. Place the dough in the bowl and turn to oil all sides. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set in a warm, draft-free place until nearly doubled in size, 1 to 1 ½ hours. Use as directed.