- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 egg
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- Finely grated zest and juice from 1 large naval orange or blood orange
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ vanilla bean, seeds scraped from pod
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 9 Italian plums, halved and pitted
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons demerara sugar
Preheat the oven to 375°. Lightly grease an 8-inch springform pan. Dust the pan with flour and tap out the excess.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, almond meal, baking powder, cardamom and salt. In another bowl, combine the butter, egg, yogurt, orange zest and juice, sugar, vanilla bean seeds, vanilla and almond extracts and whisk well. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until just combined.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Arrange the plum halves, cut side down, on top of the batter. Sprinkle the almonds and demerara sugar over the cake.
Bake until the topping is golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 35 to 40 minutes. Transfer the cake to a wire rack and let cool for 20 minutes. Remove the ring from the pan and place the cake on a serving platter. Cut into wedges and serve warm or at room temperature.