- 2 cups country-style bread cut into cubes and toasted
- 1 cup cherry or teardrop tomatoes cut in half or quartered
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella bocconcini, halved
- 1 cup peeled, seeded and diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup red, yellow or orange bell peppers, stemmed, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup pitted olives, halved
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped or sliced soppresata
- 1/2 cup marinated artichokes, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/4 cup celery leaves, from the heart of the celery
- 2 tablespoons basil chiffonade
For the vinaigrette:
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped capers
- 1 anchovy, rinsed and mashed into a paste (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
In a large bowl toss all of the ingredients, except the ingredients for the vinaigrette.
To make the vinaigrette, combine the garlic, capers, anchovies, Dijon mustard and red wine vinegar in a small bowl and whisk well. Slowly pour in the olive oil while whisking to form an emulsion.
Toss the salad with the vinaigrette and serve immediately.