- 8 ears corn on the cob, husks and silk removed
- 2 1/2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon liquid crab boil, or more to taste
- 2 lemons, halved
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 6 tablespoons crumbled Cotija cheese, plus more for garnishing corn
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Grilled lime wedges, for garnish
Place the corn in a large pot or heatproof bowl. Bring the water and crab boil to a simmer. Squeeze the lemon halves into the water, then pour the hot crab boil liquid over the corn. Cover with foil and allow the corn to sit in the crab boil liquid for about 1 hour.
While the corn is soaking, combine the mayonnaise, crumbled Cotija, chili powder and lime juice in a bowl and stir until well-blended.
When the corn has cooled enough to handle, remove it from the liquid and pat the ears very dry. Preheat a grill to medium-high.
When the grill is hot, add the corn and cook, turning as necessary, until nicely charred on all sides.
Remove the corn from the grill and brush generously with the mayonnaise on all sides. Garnish with additional crumbled Cotija and cilantro and serve with a grilled lime wedge.