- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or bacon drippings
- 6 ounces salt pork, diced (any tough outer skin removed)
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces dried white beans, such as Cannellini or Great Northern
- 8 cups water
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 8 ounces finely chopped cured Spanish chorizo
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 ½ pounds russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 pound turnips, peeled and diced
- 4 cups finely chopped kale (one small bunch)
- 2 ½ teaspoons Spanish paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pot and sauté the salt pork until it’s crisp and has rendered its fat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until tender.
- Add the beans, water, chicken stock, chorizo and bay leaves and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, covered, until the beans are nearly tender, about 1 ½ hours. Season the broth with salt and pepper. Add the potatoes and turnip and cook until tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Stir in the kale and the paprika. Remove from the heat and let sit until the kale is crisp-tender.
- Adjust the seasoning if necessary and serve hot.