- 2 3/4 cups chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh rosemary
- 6 cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- finely grated zest from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- One 4 to 5 pound beef brisket
- 1 1/2 pounds turnips, peeled and quartered
- 3/4 pound carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 to 4 cups beef broth
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Buttered egg noodles, for serving
Add 3/4 cup chopped onion, rosemary, 6 cloves garlic, brown sugar, coarse salt, lemon zest, lemon juice, ground mustard, and the 1 tablespoon black pepper to a food processor and chop for 30 seconds or until well blended. Add the brisket to a large casserole and rub the marinade all over. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat the oven to 350º F.
Add the remaining 2 cups chopped onion to the casserole with the brisket, along with the turnip and carrot. Add enough beef broth until 3/4 of the brisket is submerged. Cover with aluminum foil and set on a rimmed baking sheet and place in the oven. Braise the brisket for 3 hours, or until tender.
Using a small spoon, combine the softened butter in a small bowl with the flour, minced garlic, parsley and salt and pepper until uniform and set aside.
Once the brisket is done, transfer the brisket and vegetables with a slotted spoon to a platter and cover to keep warm. Transfer the braising liquid to a large sauté pan and bring to a boil. Whisk in the butter mixture to thicken the sauce and simmer for 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
Serve the brisket with the buttered noodles, vegetables and sauce.
Air-Fried Braised Chicken Thighs with Rosemary and Lemon
Whole Chicken with Root Vegetables
Cola-Braised Pot Roast with Fresh Rosemary
Chopped Chicken Liver Spread
Braised Duck Ravioli with Apple Cider Butter
Lemon Rosemary Scones
Baked Oysters with Braised Leeks and Tasso Hollandaise
Roast Pork Loin with Rosemary