- 2 3/4 cups chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh rosemary
- 6 cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- finely grated zest from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- One 4 to 5 pound beef brisket
- 1 1/2 pounds turnips, peeled and quartered
- 3/4 pound carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 to 4 cups beef broth
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Buttered egg noodles, for serving
Add 3/4 cup chopped onion, rosemary, 6 cloves garlic, brown sugar, coarse salt, lemon zest, lemon juice, ground mustard, and the 1 tablespoon black pepper to a food processor and chop for 30 seconds or until well blended. Add the brisket to a large casserole and rub the marinade all over. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat the oven to 350º F.
Add the remaining 2 cups chopped onion to the casserole with the brisket, along with the turnip and carrot. Add enough beef broth until 3/4 of the brisket is submerged. Cover with aluminum foil and set on a rimmed baking sheet and place in the oven. Braise the brisket for 3 hours, or until tender.
Using a small spoon, combine the softened butter in a small bowl with the flour, minced garlic, parsley and salt and pepper until uniform and set aside.
Once the brisket is done, transfer the brisket and vegetables with a slotted spoon to a platter and cover to keep warm. Transfer the braising liquid to a large sauté pan and bring to a boil. Whisk in the butter mixture to thicken the sauce and simmer for 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
Serve the brisket with the buttered noodles, vegetables and sauce.