- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 stalk lemongrass, white bulb only, very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons Vietnamese fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more as needed for stir-frying
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into lengthwise strips
- 1 yellow onion, cut into lengthwise strips
- pickled cucumber slices or other Asian-style quick pickled vegetables, for serving (optional)
- Steamed jasmine rice, for serving
- Nuoc Cham Sauce, for serving
Combine the chicken, lemongrass, garlic, fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, soy sauce and 1 tablespoon oil in a bowl and toss to coat well. Transfer to the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
When ready to cook, remove the chicken from the refrigerator. Remove the chicken from the marinade and reserve the marinade separately.
Heat a large wok or nonstick skillet over high heat. When very hot, add enough oil to coat the pan, then stir fry the chicken (in batches, if necessary), until golden on the outside and just cooked through. Transfer to a bowl and repeat with any remaining chicken.
To the same pan, add a bit more oil and then add the red pepper strips and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the onion and cook until vegetables are lightly caramelized around the edges. Transfer to the bowl with the chicken.
Add the reserved marinade to the pan and cook, stirring, until sauce boils for at least 3 minutes. Return the chicken and vegetables to the pan briefly just to coat in the sauce and reheat.
Serve the stir fry with cooked jasmine rice, garnished with the herbs and, if desired, with the pickled cucumber slices on the side. Serve Nuoc Cham sauce on the side for guests to use as desired.
Sous Vide Viet-Style Pork Tenderloins
Thai-Style Grilled Chicken with Lemongrass-Kumquat Chutney
Stir Fried Udon Noodles with Pork and Wild Mushrooms
Clams in a Thai-Style Coconut Lemongrass Broth
Vietnamese-Style Curried Shrimp with Cellophane Noodles
Sous Vide Lemongrass Chicken with Thai Basil
Air Fried Southwest-Style Pork Loin
Air-Fried Braised Chicken Thighs with Rosemary and Lemon
Stir-fried Squid With Chile Sauce
Sicilian-Style Air Fried Broccoli