- 12 cups torn lettuce, such as romaine, bibb, and or iceberg
- 1 to 2 handfuls of arugula, tough stems removed
- 3 to 4 fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup Delmonico Olive Salad, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 cup diced Creole tomatoes or halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Pinch of dried oregano, crumbled between your fingers
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup coarsely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, or more to taste
- 1/4 cup coarsely grated aged Provolone, or more to taste
- Anchovy fillets, for garnish, optional
- Marinated artichoke hearts, for garnish, optional
- Julienned or diced salami, for garnish, optional
- Blanched asparagus spears, for garnish, optional
- Sliced hard-boiled eggs, for garnish, optional
In a large salad bowl combine the lettuce(s) with the arugula, basil, olive salad, and tomatoes.
In a small bowl combine the vinegar with the oregano, garlic, a pinch of salt and pepper, and the olive oil. Whisk to combine, then season to taste with more salt and pepper. Set aside.
Add as many of the optional garnishes to the salad as desired, then drizzle the salad generously with the vinaigrette and toss to combine. Add the cheeses and toss again. Taste the salad and season with salt and pepper if necessary. Finally, garnish the salad with more grated cheese if desired. Serve in individual bowls.