- 2 (3-pound) whole red snappers, scaled and gutted
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground white pepper
- 2 large tomatoes, each sliced crosswise into 4 thick slices
- 12 sprigs thyme, plus 2 tablespoons thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup julienned lemon zest (strips of zest)
- 1/2 cup 1/4-inch sliced garlic cloves
- 1 cup sliced kalamata olives
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1 cup lemon juice
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Season the snappers with the salt and pepper. Place the tomato slices on the bottom of a large roasting pan in 2 columns of 4 tomato slices. Place 6 sprigs of rosemary across the each of the 2 rows of tomatoes. Lay the fish on top of the tomato slices, and divide the thyme leaves, orange zest and garlic cloves evenly over the tops of the 2 fish. Pour the wine and lemon juice around the fish, and drizzle each fish with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Place the fish in the oven and roast, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
Remove from the oven and add another tablespoon of the olive oil to each of the fish. Return to the oven and continue to cook until well caramelized, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the fish from the oven and drizzle with the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil.
Serve immediately, with the pan drippings drizzled over the top of the fish.
- Source: March of Dimes