- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch-thick fries
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Kosher salt
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh marjoram leaves
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- Crushed red pepper, to taste
- 4 ounces Greek feta or other salty feta cheese, crumbled
Place the cut fries in a large bowl of ice water and allow to chill for at least 2 hours or up to overnight. Preheat the vegetable oil in a deep fryer to 325°F. Position a wire rack over a papertowel- lined baking sheet.
Remove the fries from the ice water, transfer them to clean kitchen towels, and blot until thoroughly dry. Working in batches, fry the potatoes until they are tender but not colored, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer them to the wire rack to drain and let them sit for at least 10 minutes. Raise the fryer temperature to 375°F.
Working in batches, fry the fries a second time until crisp and golden brown, usually 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer them to the wire rack to drain briefly. Sprinkle the fries lightly with salt, and then transfer them to a serving dish. Sprinkle with the minced herbs, lemon zest, crushed red pepper, and feta cheese.