- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 pound andouille sausage or other smoked sausage, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 6 1/2 cups crumbled Jalapeno Corn Muffins, or other cornbread
- 1 tablespoon Emeril's Creole Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
Preheat the oven to 425° F.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat and add the sausage. Cook, stirring as needed until browned, about 3 minutes. Add onion, green onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic and continue to cook 5 minutes longer, or until the vegetables have softened. Remove from the heat.
Add the crumbled cornbread to a large bowl. Stir in the sausage and vegetables, Creole seasoning, salt, pepper, cayenne and chicken broth. Mix thoroughly.
Brush a 1 1/2-quart casserole, 8 x 8-inch square pan, or 12-inch skillet with some of the melted butter. Drizzle the remaining butter over the cornbread mixture and stir to combine. Transfer the mixture to the casserole and bake in the oven for 50 minutes, stirring and scraping the bottom with a wooden spoon to distribute the browned bits and keep it from sticking every 20 minutes, until browned on top.