- 1 large egg, at room temperature (see Note)
- 1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 to 3 jalapeños, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper or cayenne pepper, to taste
In a food processor or a blender, combine the egg, egg yolk, cilantro (if using), lemon juice, garlic, mustard, and jalapeños, and process until smooth. With the motor still running, add the oil in a thin stream until a thick emulsion is formed. Add the salt and pepper, and transfer the mayonnaise to a nonreactive container. Use immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Note: I suggest using caution when consuming raw eggs because of the slight risk of salmonella or other food-borne illness. To reduce this risk, I recommend that you use only fresh, properly refrigerated, clean, grade A or AA eggs with intact shells, and always avoid contact between the yolks or whites and the outside portion of the eggshell.
- Source: Emeril's Kicked Up Sandwiches
- Dish Type: Condiment