- 1 (1/4-ounce) packet active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (about 110 degrees)
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for coating bowl
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more if needed
- Cornmeal for dusting, if needed
- Combine yeast, water, and sugar in a large bowl and stir well to combine. Set aside until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Add salt, olive oil, and 1 1/2 cups flour to yeast mixture, and mix well to thoroughly combine. Add 1 cup flour and mix well with your hands, working to incorporate flour little by little. The dough should be slightly sticky to the touch. Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead it for at least 5 and up to 7 minutes, adding more flour as needed to form a smooth and elastic dough that is not sticky.
- Lightly oil a 2- or 3-quart bowl, place dough in it, and turn dough to coat it with oil. Cover bowl with a damp towel and let dough rise in a warm place until doubled in size and ready to bake, usually at least 1 hour.
- Source: Emeril's Table: Pizza at Home