- 3 tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 3 carrots, roughly chopped
- 3 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, whole or sliced
- Fresh herb stems, such as thyme and/or parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- Cold water, as needed
- Place all ingredients in a 4- to 6-quart stockpot. Add enough cold water to cover, bring to a boil, and lower heat to simmer. Cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Vegetables should remain covered with water throughout the cooking process.
- Strain through a fine-mesh strainer or colander lined with cheesecloth. (Do not press on vegetables.) Cool to room temperature and refrigerate. Stock can be refrigerated for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 3 months.