- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme (lemon thyme if available), oregano, or marjoram leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 to 16 fresh whole sardines, cleaned, scaled, rinsed and dried
- Crusty bread for serving, optional
- Preheat a grill or broiler to high.
- In a mortar and pestle, combine the thyme and parsley with the sea salt and pound until well crushed.
- Add the lemon juice and drizzle in the olive oil until well combined. Add a pinch of pepper if desired. Set aside at room temperature until you are ready to serve the sardines.
- Season the sardines well on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place directly on the grill and cook, turning once, until the skin is crispy and lightly charred, 2 to 3 minutes per side, depending on the size of the fish.
- Transfer the fish to a serving platter and drizzle with the herb sauce. Serve immediately, with crusty bread, if desired.
- Source: The Emeril Lagasse Show: Episode 3 - Italian Chowdown
- Dish Type: Entree
- Cuisine: Italian
- Cooking Method: Grilling
- Occasion: Any
Basic Marinara Sauce
Emeril's Favorite Eggplant Parmesan
Robiola Ravioli With Duck Ragu
Venetian Spritz With Prosecco, Aperol And Blood Orange Juice
Sausage Pizza With Caramelized Onions And Peppers
Emeril's Balsamic Marinated Ribeyes With Balsamic Barbecue Sauce
Bouillabaisse With Sofrito
Basic Pasta Dough
Fish Tacos With Chipotle Crema And Roasted Tomato Salsa