- 1 pound vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup packed fresh basil leaves, plus extra for garnish
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Using a serrated knife, slice the tomatoes horizontally about 1/2 inch thick. Discard the very tops and the bottoms.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the mozzarella into 1/4-inch slices.
- On a large plate or platter, arrange the tomato and cheese slices in an alternating shingle pattern.
- Place the basil leaves in a blender with the olive oil and puree until smooth, about 15 seconds.
- Drizzle the basil oil evenly over the tomatoes and mozzarella. In a small mixing bowl, combine the balsamic vinegar and the sugar and whisk to combine. When the sugar is completely dissolved, pour the vinegar mixture over the tomatoes and mozzarella.
- Garnish the plate with fresh basil leaves and sprinkle with salt and black pepper to taste. Serve immediately.