- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 8 cups peeled, seeded, and chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 1/2 quarts chicken broth
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 6 ounces goat cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped basil, plus 4 to 6 tablespoons chiffonade, for garnish
- 12 wonton wrappers
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the onions, celery, and carrots. Season the vegetables with salt, pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne. Saute the vegetables for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and tomatoes. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring often. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the fryer or a heavy saucepot filled no more than halfway with vegetable oil to 375 degrees F. Prepare the dumplings while the soup is simmering and fry just before serving the soup.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the goat cheese, extra-virgin olive oil, and chopped basil. Mix until the mixture is fully incorporated. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Spoon 1 rounded teaspoon of the cheese mixture in the center of each wonton wrapper. Brush the edges of the wrappers with a small amount water. Bring 2 corners of the wrappers together and press to seal, forming a triangle. Fry the wontons for about 2 minutes each or until the dumplings are golden and crispy. Remove from the fryer and drain on a paper-lined plate. Season the dumplings with Essence, to taste.
- Remove the soup from the heat. Using a hand-held blender, puree the soup. Stir in the parsley. Adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper, if needed. Stir in the heavy cream.
- Ladle the soup in a shallow bowls. Garnish each bowl with 2 dumplings and a chiffonade of fresh basil.
Creole Style Tomato Soup With Goat's Cheese Dumplings
Capocollo And Citrus Crusted Snapper With A Lemon Butter Sauce
Paneed Pork Medallions With Herbed Spaetzle And Brown Butter Sauce
Pistachio Crusted Rack Of Lamb With Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes And Peasant Style Sauce
Smoked Ham Hock And Goat's Cheese Dumplings
Crawfish And Goat's Cheese Stuffed Leg Of Lamb With Rosemary Jus
Fresh Spinach Salad With Tear Drop Tomatoes And Goat's Cheese
Goat Cheese Stuffed Zucchini Pancakes With Tomato Sauce
Feta, Goat Cheese And Leek Buttons With Lentil Salad
Truffle Potato Soup With Truffle Mushroom Dumplings And Fried Parsley