- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons bleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces and chilled
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 5 tablespoons ice water, or as needed
- Sift the flour, sugar and salt into a large bowl. Add the butter and shortening. Rub the fats between your fingertips and thumbs, or use a pastry blender, until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. One tablespoon at a time, work in enough ice water just until the dough comes together, being careful not to over mix.
- Shape into a smooth ball of dough, flatten into a disk, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, and up to two days.
- Source: EM2A36E
- Dish Type: Baked Goods