- 2 medium Italian eggplants (10 to 12 ounces each), ends trimmed, and cut into 3/4-inch rounds
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the eggplant in a colander and toss with the salt. Let sit over a bowl and stand for 1 to 2 hours, tossing occasionally.
- Preheat the grill. In a large bowl, mix the olive oil, basil, oregano, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Toss the eggplant rounds in the oil mixture and grill until marked and golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes. Remove the eggplant from the grill and serve immediately.