- 1 cup Channa dal (split peas)
- 3 cups water
- 3 cloves
- 1/2-inch cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 3 tablespoons mustard oil (or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil with 2 teaspoon dry mustard powder)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon minced green chili
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- Steamed Basmati Rice
- Eggplant Fritters
- Rinse the peas several times to thoroughly remove any dirt or debris. Put the peas in a deep, heavy-bottomed pot along with the water, cloves, cinnamon, salt, turmeric, sugar, and cardamom powder .
- Bring to a boil, stirring well to keep the peas from lumping. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, until peas are cooked tender but still separate, about 10 minutes total.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. When it is hot add the cumin, minced green chili and red chili flakes and heat until aromatic, 20 to 30 seconds. Pour this perfumed oil over the peas and stir to combine.
- Serve the dal hot over rice and top with Eggplant Fritters.
Lobster In Fried Onion Sauce
Smoked Mussel Fritters With A Roasted Red Pepper Aioli
Grilled Shrimp With Sweet Potato Fritters
Caribbean Lobster Soup with Spicy Fritters
Roasted Flounder Stuffed With An Eggplant And Cornbread Dressing
Berenjena En Salmorejo (fried Eggplant With Salmorejo Sauce)
Roasted Eggplant Stuffed With A Portugese Rice Dressing
Fried Eggplant With Shrimp Etouffee
Whole Trout Stuffed With A Bacon And Eggplant Dressing