- 8 (4 ounce) sand dab fillets
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 stick unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup clarified butter or vegetable oil, or more as needed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley, plus parsley sprigs for garnish
- Lemon wedges, garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions, garnish
- 3 tablespoons clarified butter
- 1/2 pound potatoes, peeled, cut into balls with a parissienne scoop, and blanched
- 1/4 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/4 pound chayote, pitted and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/4 pound zucchini, cut into half moon shapes
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Place a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the butter and heat. Add the potatoes, carrots, and chayote and cook until golden brown and tender. Add the zucchini during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper. Add the parsley and toss well.
- For the Sand Dabs: Season the fish lightly on both sides with the Essence. Season the flour with 1 1/2 tablespoons of Essence. Dredge the fish in the flour to lightly coat, shaking to remove any excess. In a large, heavy skillet or saute pan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter and heat the clarified butter or oil over medium-high heat. Add the fish in batches, cooking until golden brown, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side. Remove and repeat with the remaining fish, adding more butter or oil as necessary. Cover to keep warm until ready to serve. Add the remaining stick of butter in pieces to the skillet and cook until golden brown with a nutty aroma, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice, salt, and parsley, and swirl to incorporate.
- Place the vegetables on plates. Plate with sand dabs and sauce. Garnish with lemon, green onions and parsley sprigs.