- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick cold butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening
- 2 to 3 tablespoons ice water
- Sift the flour, sugar, and salt into a large bowl. Using your fingers, work in the butter and shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add 2 tablespoons of ice water and work with your fingers until the water is incorporated and the dough comes together. Add more water as needed to make a smooth dough, being careful not to over-mix. Form the dough into a disk, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and let rest in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.