- 1 large butternut squash, about 3 pounds, halved, seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage, removed from casings
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage, plus 12 whole leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh marjoram
- 6 cups light chicken stock or broth
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lightly coat the squash halves with 1 teaspoon of the vegetable oil. Season the inside with salt and pepper and place cut-side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake until very tender, about 45 minutes. When the squash is cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh and reserve. Discard the peel.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add the remaining vegetable oil and, when hot but not smoking, add the sausage. Cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until the onions wilted and starting to caramelize, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic, sage and marjoram, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the cooked squash and chicken stock, stir well to combine, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- With a hand-held immersion blender, or in batches in a food processor or blender, puree the soup. Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a clean saucepan. Add the cider vinegar and stir to combine. Add the cream and adjust seasoning, to taste.
- In a small saute pan, cook the butter over medium-high heat until it begins to turn brown around the edges. Add the whole sage leaves and cook until crisp, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the leaves to paper towels to drain.
- Serve the soup in bowls, garnished with the crispy sage leaves.
Smoked Sausage, Butternut Squash And Wild Rice Soup
Butternut Squash Lasagna With Italian Sausage And Sage
Rigatoni with a Butternut Squash, Italian Sausage and Sage Cream Sauce
Ham And Split Pea Soup
Butternut Squash And Hvc Chocolate Bars
Zucchini Wrapped Fish With Butternut Squash Hash And Pinot Noir Butter Sauce
Potato, Onion, And Roquefort Soup
Butternut Squash And Apple Soup With Bacon
Baked Acorn Squash Filled With Italian Sausage And Rigatoni Pasta
Pork Wellington With Onion Applesauce And Candied Butternut Squash