- 1 (6 1/2 pound) whole turkey breast
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon Essence
- Poblano Chocolate Mole
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 2 oranges, halved
- 2 jalapenos, minced (with their seeds)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- In a large non reactive container, combine lemon juice, orange juice, kosher salt, light brown sugar, yellow onions, oranges, jalapenos, cilantro, garlic, chili powder, ground cumin, and oregano with 1 gallon water and stir to dissolve the sugar and salt. Put the turkey in a large colander and rinse under cold, running water, then add the turkey breast to the brine, cover, and refrigerate, turning occasionally, for at least 12 hours and up to 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Remove the turkey from the brine and put it breast side up in a large, heavy roasting pan and pat dry with paper towels. Rub the turkey with vegetable oil and sprinkle both sides with Essence. Roast until deep golden brown and an instant read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the thigh reads 165 degrees F., about 1 hour and 45 minutes. Transfer to a platter and let stand for 15 minutes before carving.