- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Three-fourths cup whole-wheat flour
- One-fourth cup wheat germ
- One and one-half teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger root
- 2 cups grated carrots
- One-fourth cup pine nuts
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- Three-fourths cup unsalted butter, softened
- Three-fourths cup cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- One and one-half cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a baking pan about 9x12x2 inches.
- Cream the butter and both sugars until fluffy. Add the eggs and beat until well mixed. Add the baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and mix to combine. Add all-purpose flour and mix. Add the whole-wheat flour and wheat germ, and mix until just combined. With a rubber spatula, fold in the grated ginger and carrots. Turn into the prepared pan and smooth with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle the pine nuts over the top of the batter and bake until golden brown, when a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on a rack.
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING: Cream the butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Add the vanilla and mix to combine. Add the powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Makes about 2 cups