- 4 bananas
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup lightly toasted coconut or 1/2 cup chopped roasted peanuts (or 1/4 cup of each)
- Peel the bananas and cut them in half crosswise so that you now have 2 short pieces.
- Insert an ice-cream stick or half of a bamboo skewer into each piece so that it has a handle.
- Wrap each banana half in a piece of aluminum foil and place in the freezer until frozen solid, 4 to 6 hours or overnight.
- Place the cream in a small saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat. Remove from the heat.
- Place the chocolate chips in a medium mixing bowl, then carefully pour the hot cream over the chips. Let the chocolate and cream sit undisturbed for a minute or two, then stir with a small spoon or rubber spatula until the mixture is blended and smooth and the chocolate is completely melted, about 2 minutes.
- Place the toasted coconut in a small mixing bowl.
- If using nuts, chop into small pieces and place in a small mixing bowl.
- Remove the bananas from the freezer and unwrap.
- Cover a small baking sheet with waxed paper or aluminum foil.
- Holding the stick or skewer, dip one banana half in the melted chocolate and cream until completely coated.
- Sprinkle the coated banana with about 1 tablespoon of either the toasted coconut or the chopped peanuts.
- Set the banana on the covered baking sheet and repeat with the remaining bananas and coatings.
- Serve immediately or cover tightly and return the bananas to the freezer until ready to serve.
- Be careful when pouring the hot cream over the chocolate chips!