- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely grated sharp Cheddar cheese, packed
- 2 teaspoons Baby Bam
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 egg white
- Combine the flour, cheese, Baby Bam, salt, and mustard in a mixing bowl.
- Add the butter and work it in with two forks or your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the cold water and continue working with your fingers until the mixture comes together to form a smooth dough.
- Form the dough into a flat disk, cover with plastic wrap, and transfer to the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and at most overnight.
- Make sure that the oven rack is in the center position and preheat the oven to 375?F.
- Uncover the dough, place on a lightly floured surface, and sprinkle it lightly with flour.
- Use a lightly floured rolling pin to roll the dough out to a thickness of 1/8 inch.
- Cut the dough with a 1-inch star-shaped cutter. Gather up the leftover dough scraps, form them into a ball with damp hands, roll out as instructed in step 7, and cut into more star shapes. Repeat until all the dough has been used up.
- Place the egg white in a small mixing bowl. Set the stars on a baking sheet and use a pastry brush to lightly paint each star with a little egg white. Bake until the stars are crisp and golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Using oven mitts or pot holders, remove the baking sheet from the oven and transfer the stars with a turner to wire racks to cool.
- Hey, if youíre up to experimenting, change this a bit by adding some dried herbs to the recipe or by using a different type of cheese. You could even toss in a teaspoon or two of Emerilís Italian Essence (or other Italian herb blend), dill seeds, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chili powder, or garlic powderóchoose the flavors that you like. Any firm cheese could be substituted, but I think that Parmesan, Swiss, or GruyËre would be delicious.
- Source: There's a Chef in My Soup
- Dish Type: Kids