- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/4 cups(packed) light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch of black pepper
- 2 cups fresh blueberries, washed and stemmed
- 2 pounds peaches, peeled, pitted and cut into wedges (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1/2 stick butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 unbaked 9 inch pie crust
- 2 cups sweetened whipped cream
- 8 sprigs of fresh mint
- Shaker of powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a saucepan, combine the water, 3/4 cup brown sugar, cornstarch, salt, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon of grated nutmeg, and pepper, whisk until smooth. Place the pan over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Place the blueberries and peaches in a mixing bowl and pour the syrup over the peaches. Toss well and cool for 10 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar, remaining 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, remaining 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, flour, oatmeal, and butter. Using your fingers, work the mixture together until it resembles a coarse crumb-like mixture. Pour the fruit mixture into the prepared pie shell. Sprinkle the topping over the top of the fruit filling. Bake for 1 hour, or until the crust is golden. Remove the pie from the oven and cool for 15 minutes before slicing.
- Slice and serve warm. Garnish with the sweetened whipped cream, fresh mint and powdered sugar.
- Yields: 8 servings